Returning to college means big bucks in more ways than one. While you need money to pay for your education, you also stand to make more money in your career with college degrees than you do without. That’s why the over-40 crowd is the fastest-growing segment of today’s college population. So whether you plan to earn your first college degree or you’re looking for graduate degree programs to advance your career, paying for college is an investment in your future!
To help you make this important investment, scholarships specifically for adult learners are available from many organizations. Searching websites such as ScholarshipAdvisor will help you find awards that fit your circumstances and interests.
Get started with this list of 12 college scholarships for adult learners that have open applications.
1. Get Educated Online College Scholarship Program: $2,500, Deadline: October 15, 2014
This scholarship is awarded twice a year to distance learning students who are attending accredited online university degree programs. Deadlines are in October and March of each year.
2. Kaplan University 50/50/50 Grant: 50% Tuition, Deadline: November 3, 2014
Kaplan University is offering the first 50 enrolled students who are at least 50 years old a 50% tuition reduction toward a variety of master’s, bachelor’s, associate’s, or for-credit certificate programs! Choose from a wide range of fields, including business, IT, nursing, health care, and education.
3. Soroptimist Women’s Opportunity Awards: $10,000, Deadline: November 15, 2014
These awards assist women who provide the primary source of financial support for their families by giving them the resources they need to improve their education, skills, and employment prospects.
4. American Heart Association Go Red Multicultural Scholarship: $2, 500, Deadline: December 31, 2014
This scholarship is aimed at helping racially and ethnically diverse women from at-risk communities enter the health care industry.
5. Mawista Scholarship: €6,000, Deadline: January 1, 2015
If you would like to study abroad in Germany and you have a child, this scholarship opportunity is for you!
[Start off on the right foot with 5 Tips for Adult Learners Returning to College.]
6. UC Alumni “Change the World” Scholarship: $5,500, Deadline: January 15, 2015
All University of California alumni are invited to apply for one of four merit scholarships of up to $5,500 to enter any continuing education certificate or special study program offered by UC San Diego Extension. Applications are also accepted on April 15, July 15, or October 15.
7. Kaplan University College of Public Service: $500/term, Deadline: rolling
Kaplan University established the College of Public Service Scholarships to award students who are currently employed and have at least one year of experience working at a government or nonprofit organization or as a volunteer fire or emergency service worker.
8. Segal AmeriCorps Education Award: $ varies, Deadline: rolling
Participants who complete a term of volunteer national service in an approved AmeriCorps program become eligible for this award. Certain senior AmeriCorps members are also eligible to transfer their education awards to their children or grandchildren.
9. Walmart Associate Scholarship: $3,000, Deadline: rolling
The Walmart Associate Scholarship is available to employees participating in Walmart’s Lifelong Learning Program and to associates pursuing a postsecondary education.
10. Adult Students in Scholastic Transition (ASIST) Scholarship: $ varies
Executive Women International sponsors this program to help adults facing economic, social, or physical challenges who are looking to improve their situation through educational opportunities. Deadlines vary across local EWI chapters.
11. “Pursue Your Passion” Scholarship: $1,000, Deadline: monthly
Writing about how you want to pursue your passion through education can win you money in this monthly scholarship contest.
12. College Prowler “No Essay” Scholarship: $2,000, Deadline: monthly
This “No Essay” Scholarship contest is open to all students and those planning to enroll within 12 months. You will be entered into a monthly drawing by registering for a free account.
When you’re done with these college scholarships, check out our full adult learners scholarship list for more!